Easypolicy FAQs
Travel Insurance FAQs
Please click on a question to view its answer.

Q- Why do I need travel insurance?
A- Travelling abroad is expensive. Along with this, there are a lot of risks involved that may affect the trip, be it business or leisure. Theft, baggage loss, flight delays, medical emergencies, terrorist attacks, anything can happen. Travel Insurance is a financial cover against common problems that might affect your trip by providing financial coverage.

Q- Is it mandatory to buy travel insurance if I am travelling abroad?
A- Travel insurance is not mandatory for travelling to India or within India but it is compulsory to get travel insurance in many countries including most European countries. For many countries it is the basic requirement to obtain the visa. Even though it might not be mandatory to have travel insurance, it is better to have one for any expensive trips to cover any mishaps.

Q- Do I need to take travel insurance for every different country that I might be visiting?
A- No, you do not need separate Travel Insurance Policy for every single country that you may go to. Travel insurance is available for set of countries or zones. You can decide on the zone most suitable to you.

Q- What is covered in travel insurance?
A- Based on the level of insurance taken, major things covered in travel insurance are medical emergency, medical evacuation, loss of passport, checked baggage loss, checked baggage delay, personal accident, personal liability, hijack daily allowance, financial emergency cash, repatriation of mortal remains, trip cancellation, dental treatment. There are add-on covers that one can take besides the regular plans available like financial emergency, home burglary, personal liability, dental treatment etc. The list of available add-on covers need to be verified with the company you are buying travel insurance from.

Q- What is single trip travel insurance?
A- Single trip insurance is valid for the fixed number of days that you’ll be travelling starting from the date of commencement of travel and ending on the date of return as mentioned in the Policy or the day you return, whichever is earlier. It is most suitable if you are an occasional traveller.

Q- What is multi trip travel insurance? / Do I need to take travel insurance every time I make the trip?
A- If you travel frequently, you may opt for multi trip travel insurance. This allows you to be insured for the more than one trip you make during one year for a fixed number of days. The number of days that you will be covered for during the year may be from 30 to 90 days as per the company policy.

Q- When does the cover begin?
A- Travel Insurance cover begins on the date as specified in the policy, usually same as the date of commencement of the trip or the time you board your flight whichever is later.

Q- Till when is a travel insurance valid?
A- Travel insurance is valid till the date mentioned in your policy or the time you land in India, whichever is earlier.

Q- Do I get reimbursement if my trip is cancelled?
A- If the trip is cancelled due to flight cancellation or a natural calamity and no alternate transport is available, you are eligible for reimbursement. Trip cancelled by you for some personal reason is not covered.

Q- What happens if I lose my baggage or it is delayed?
A- In case of baggage loss insurance company gives you reimbursement based on applicable capping and deductibles. If your baggage is delayed, you are reimbursed a fixed amount based on the time (first 12 hours deductible) it is delayed for.

Q- Can I extend my travel insurance if my stay abroad has to be extended?
A- Yes, it is possible to extend Travel Insurance if your stay abroad has been extended. If the travel has been extended due to things covered in the Policy like flight delay or cancellation or a calamity, and no other alternate travel arrangements can be made, your cover will be automatically extended for up to 7 days. If you need to extend the trip for personal reason, you need to extend the travel insurance as well be covered for the rest of the duration before the existing policy expires. If you anticipate that you may need to extend the trip it is better to take insurance for the maximum duration you think you may have to spend.

Q- What is automatic extension of Policy?
A- If the travel has been extended due to reasons covered in the policy like flight delay or cancellation or a calamity, and no other alternate travel arrangements can be made, your cover will be automatically extended for up to 7 days. Only select few companies offer this facility of automatic policy extension.

Q- Do I need to carry the policy when I am travelling?
A- It is better to carry the Policy along as you may need the details in case of emergency or some authority may want to check it. You must carry the policy number and the international helpline number all the time even if you are not carrying the policy.

Q- What is a deductible or excess?
A- Deductible or excess is the amount you need to pay on your own after which the policy claim comes into force. It may also be the time duration after which you will be eligible for the claim in case of delays. For example if you have a plan that has the deductable of $100 then you pay that much amount out of your pocket and the rest is paid by the insurance company. Higher the deductible, lower the cost of the insurance; if your flight or baggage is delayed the deductible will be the first few hours of the delay for which the insurance company will not pay the claim.

Q- What are exclusions?
A- Exclusions list situations that are not covered in travel insurance. Some exclusions may vary as per different plans by different companies but there are certain exclusions that are common, called the permanent exclusion. Following are permanent exclusions of travel insurance:
• Travelling abroad for obtaining medical treatment.
• War or war like situation, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, military or usurped acts, riot, terrorism, chemical, radioactive or nuclear contamination.
• Participation or involvement in naval, military or air force operations, racing, diving, aviation, scuba diving, parachuting, hang-gliding, rock or mountain climbing.
• Abuse of intoxicants or hallucinogens including drugs & alcohol.
• Self inflicted injury, suicide or attempted suicide.
• Pregnancy, childbirth and related complications.
• HIV/AIDS, sexually transmitted diseases.
• Pre-existing conditions and related complications.

Q- What is capping?
A- A travel insurance policy has many features and each is allotted a maximum cover limit. These specific limits for specific features of the insurance are called capping. Capping is always specified in the policy as a fixed amount or percent of total cover.

Q- Do I need a medical examination for travel insurance?
A- No, in most cases you do not need a medical examination up to the age of 60 years to buy travel insurance. You must though, mention any Pre-existing medical condition that you may have.

Q- Are all medical conditions covered under travel insurance?
A- Only emergency medical conditions and injury are covered under travel insurance. It covers illness or injury that you may get during the span of the travel.

Q- What are pre-existing diseases?
A- Pre-existing diseases are the illnesses that you may already have at the time of buying the travel insurance. They are the medical condition, ailment, or injury prior to inception of your Travel Insurance policy. These may be conditions for which you had symptoms, were diagnosed with, or received treatment for, before buying insurance. When buying travel insurance, you need to declare these in the Proposal form.

Q- Are pre-existing diseases covered in travel insurance?
A- No, pre-existing diseases are not covered in the travel insurance other than in an emergency situation.

Q- Am I covered if I meet with an accident in adventure sports?
A- No, Travel Insurance does not cover any injury or Accident in adventure sports.

Q- What is cashless facility?
A- Cashless facility can be availed in case of a medical emergency while travelling. You only need to pay the deductible or the excess and the rest is settled by the travel insurance company directly with the hospital.

Q- Do I get cashless hospitalisation in travel insurance?
A- Yes, you get cashless hospitalisation facility in case of an emergency situation as a part of Travel Insurance plan. You need to contact your assigned international TPA or the helpline within the stipulated time.

Q- Is loss of passport covered?
A- Yes, loss of passport is covered by most travel insurance policies. Subject to the policy norms and applicable deductibles, insurance company reimburse you, the cost incurred in process of obtaining the duplicate passport.

Q- What is emergency cash advance?
A- Emergency cash advance is a onetime payable fixed amount by the insurance company to you in case you have lost all your money during the travel. It helps deal with the emergency at hand and to make alternate arrangements.

Q- Does my travel insurance cover home burglary when I am on the trip?
A- Some companies cover home burglary. It usually doesn’t form a part of regular travel plan but can be taken as a rider. You need to confirm if your travel insurance company offers this rider.

Q- Can I cancel my travel policy if I don’t need it anymore?
A- You can cancel the Policy if you do not need it anymore only if you do not undertake the journey. You need to communicate the same to the insurance company within specified time period of the policy coming into effect along with the proof that the journey has not been undertaken.

Q- Can I purchase travel insurance for someone else?
A- Yes, you can purchase travel insurance for someone else.

Q- What is a TPA? What services does it provide?
A- TPA is the Third Party Administrator and is the one that facilitates cashless hospitalisation, emergency evacuations, and other similar services. It gives information to deal with emergency situations, medical assistance on phone and arranging quick medical aid and appointments in the local area. TPA also provides information on claims and need to be contacted to get it processed.

Q- Can I buy travel insurance if I am travelling on an immigrant visa?
A- Yes, you can get travel insurance even if you are travelling on immigrant visa, though the cover lasts only a couple of months.

Q- What do I do if my trip gets postponed?
A- If your trip is postponed, you need to inform your Travel Insurance company regarding the same and intimate to them the changed dates. The insurance company issues a new insurance Policy as per your revised schedule.

Q- How do I get a claim for my travel insurance?
A- All claims need to be intimated to the assigned TPA as soon as possible or within a given time limit. Hospitalisation charges are settled directly with the hospital if you avail the cashless facility. For the rest, you need to apply for reimbursement after reaching India by providing all the details along with all relevant documents like bills, vouchers, copies of communication with relevant authorities, police complaint, or any other similar documents.

Can't find what you are looking for?  
Please email us at help@easypolicy.com   

or call us at 011-6657 6857   
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation.
Easypolicy Insurance Web aggregator Pvt. Ltd.(Lic. No. IRDAI/WBA 18/14 valid till 25/02/2018)
Disclaimer: The information displayed on this website is of the insurers with whom our company has an agreement. The prospect's particulars could be shared with insurers.