Car insurance protects you against loss of your car due to theft, accidents, fire, natural disasters and so on. It is a boon to you during emergencies and helps you cover against the subsequent financial liabilities.
In most cases, the cover level of a car insurance Policy will include the Insured party and vehicle, as well as third parties, including people and car. The Premium charged for a car insurance policy is dependent on parameters such as gender and age of the owner, vehicle categorization and so on.
Car insurance gives you the assurance to drive without worry but at the same time, you must follow traffic rules. Car insurance today is mandatory by law in India.
However, you can be classified as a high-risk driver too. If you are labeled as a high-risk driver, finding car insurance can be a big problem. Some insurance companies will deny you the insurance itself, while others will charge you really high premiums. However, the irony is that many people have less than perfect driving records.
There are many factors and perceptions, natural and man-made, which could label you a high-risk driver. Common perceptions are:
- Men are perceived to be high-risk drivers compared to women.
- Owners of new cars are perceived to be at higher Risk as compared to owners of old cars.
- People in the city are seen as high-risk drivers compared to those in smaller towns.
- The following are some of the factors that determine if you are a high-risk driver
- If you had accidents or violations in the last 2-3 years.
- If you were given speeding challans in the last one year.
- If you were booked for drunken driving in the past.
- If you are 20 years old or younger.
- If you are 70 years old or older.
- Gaps in your car-insurance Coverage could go against you.
- Low credit-rating could lead to your being charged higher premiums.
It will take you a moment of carelessness to get the high-risk driver tag but take many years of safe driving to erase the label. However, it is not an impossible task and, if you have a clean record for three years, you can redeem yourself and get the benefits of lower premiums. There are still other ways to lower your insurance payments.
Here are a few guidelines to ensure that you get the best deal for your car insurance:
- Keep a copy of your driving history details. This is valuable information when looking for a good deal with an insurance company.
- Brokers will save you lots of time, money and worry. Go for the services of a broker you can comfortably deal with and who will give you the right advice. You will need them even for future services.
- Various internet sites will give you insurance quotes real fast and make a comparison of insurance deals very easy.
- Various websites too are available that will help you find a list of quotes. Sites like easypolicy.com let you to enter all of your information at one time and get information from various insurance companies.
- Last but not the least; you must work towards a clean driving record. Be aware of your surroundings, avoid congested areas if possible, drive in slow speed zones and never over-speed.
With a little effort and wise decisions, you can thus reduce your car insurance premium by a fair amount even when you are a high-risk driver.