Unlike other insurance policies, the procedure to file a Claim under a Travel Insurance Policy depends on the nature of protection/ Reimbursement being sought. Certain documents will have to be submitted and certain formalities will have to be completed before the travel insurance company can approve your claim. The specific formalities and documents required for the claim will depend on the Risk covered by the policy.
A standard travel insurance policy offers protection to the Insured from these risks:
- Medical problems during travel due to illnesses
- Medical problems during travel due to an accident
- Loss of baggage or documents
- Delay of baggage
- Cancellation of trip
Is The Incident Covered By The Policy?
Identify the nature of the contingency or emergency before filing the insurance claims. Determine why you are filing a claim and find out whether the same is covered under your travel insurance policy. If your policy does not cover the delay of baggage or any other risk, then it is obvious that you cannot file insurance claims for these losses.
What Does The Fine Print Say?
Many persons file insurance claims without going through the policy fine print. Most travel insurance policies offer cashless cover only for Hospitalization during the trip. Cashless claims are allowed for OPD only where cost of treatment exceeds a minimum limit. Ignoring these terms and filing a cashless claim for OPD treatment will result in complications in your insurance claims.
Once you have understood the finer nuances of the nature of Coverage offered by the travel insurance policy, it is time to go through the list of documents that need to be submitted when filing the claim. All claims, irrespective of its nature, require certain details like:
- Policy Number
- Name of the Policyholder
- The reason behind the claim
- Date and time of the incident or accident which has caused the claim
- Contact information of the person filing the claim
- Contact details for further communication
The fact that this information is required means that you should have the travel insurance policy document in your hand at all times. What if the policy is lost along with the baggage? Well, scan the policy and upload it to your email account or an online backup service. You can always access the document details even if you do not have the document in your hand.
Event Specific Documentation
Insurance claims caused by accidents must be accompanied by a date, time and place of the accident along with a copy of the report filed with the authorities. A hospitalization claim must be filed along with the medical report and the bill indicating the cost of the treatment.
Loss of baggage must include proof that the luggage was checked in with the airport or must include a complaint filed with the authorities about loss or theft of the baggage. The documentation requirements may differ and you would do well to go through the details provided by your travel insurance company.
Other Important Points
- You will be required to pay the excess or Deductible before your insurance claims will be processed. Make sure you have this amount in hand before filing a claim.
- The policy may have specific upper limits for specific claims. Make sure you do not exceed this limit or your claim may be rejected.
- You are bound by the duty of reasonable care. The travel insurance company will not honor your claims if you did not take reasonable care to avoid or prevent the loss.
- Keep track of every conversation you have with the call center. Get the name of the person with whom you have spoken and have a summary of the conversation you had to avoid repeating yourself again and again.
- To whom should you appeal if your claim is rejected? Have details of the Insurance Ombudsman in your hand at all times.
Compare and buy travel insurance online with Easypolicy.com
I’m Tejas and, I am a web designer cum insurance, business researcher & professional writer. I love to write about insurance policies, and other financial products available in India. I write to help and educate people that how insurance can help them to secure their future.